5330 Calle Real
Goleta, CA 93117
Station 12 services the area bordered by Fairview Ave , Fowler Road, Cathedral Oaks Road, and San Marcos Pass Road from Calle Real North to Via Los Santos.
Station 12 is staffed by one Captain, one Engineer and one Firefighter. Through the use of extension kits, Advanced Life Support (ALS) is capable when a paramedic is on duty.
Back in 1937 Fire Station 12 was located in a house and garage at Tuckers Grove County Park.
This continued until after World War II, when, in 1949, County fire crews were relocated to the property on the old Santa Barbara Marine Corps Air Station, which would eventually become the Santa Barbara Airport.
As time progressed, the old Marine Corps building became untenable and firefighters were housed temporarily and relocated to the now-demolished Pilot House Motel, which was located south of the terminal building at Santa Barbara Airport. A station was built off of Hollister Ave and the dual purpose of Engine Company 12 and Crash/Rescue 12 continued.
In 1996 a transition took place and the City of Santa Barbara would build the new Fire Station 8 to provide Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) service at the regional airport. To better serve the public through faster response times, the county moved Station 12 to the new location which has quicker access to the freeway and the City of Goleta and non-incorporated areas. The theme of Station 12 embraces the rich agricultural past of the Goleta Valley and even has a small orchard in the front yard.
Designed by Ceranal Architects Inc of Santa Barbara, The 7,000 square foot Station was situated unobtrusively within a secluded Avocado grove and was built to capture and reflect the architectural roots of the neighborhood.
The design, executed by the S.J. Deferville Construction Co. for a cost of $1,029,943.45 has within it elements of classic barn and residential farm detailing such as a spire topped cupola and a hose drying tower clad to resemble a silo. Local papers of the day complimented the building
by saying how well it fit in with the neighborhood.
The structure was completed and occupied April 25th 1997 and “Grand Opening” ceremonies were held on Mav 9th 1997.