FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Alamos Fire that occurred on Saturday, September 26, 2020 at approximately 3:00 pm was caused by an individual mowing dried vegetation and brush with a tractor mower. The individual was cited for operating a mower in dry vegetation and burning land that is not their own. Santa Barbara County Fire would like to provide tips for safely operating equipment in wildland areas:
- Never use mowers with metal blades in dry vegetation, use weed trimmers with nylon string.
- Mow before 10 am, and never mow during critical weather conditions.
- Ensure your tractor, mower, and equipment is equipped with an approved spark arrestor.
- Have a water extinguisher and 46 inch round tip shovel readily available.
- Keep a phone nearby to call 911 in case of an emergency.
All Santa Barbara County Fire Department News Releases are available at www.sbcfire.com
Serving the cities of Buellton, Goleta, and Solvang, and the Communities of Casmalia, Cuyama, Gaviota, Hope Ranch,
Los Alamos, Los Olivos, Mission Canyon, Mission Hills, Orcutt, Santa Maria, Sisquoc, and Vandenberg Village