County Station 32

906 Airport Rd.
Santa Ynez, CA 93460

Fire Station 32s jurisdictional area is defined in the North by the US Forest Service boundary. It extends to the top of the Santa Ynez Mountains in the South. In the East it goes up to Paradise Road and extends to the West where it goes out to Alamo Pintado Road, along the city limits of Solvang.


Station 32 is a dedicated Advanced Life Support (ALS) station and is staffed by one Captain, one Engineer and two Firefighter/Paramedics.


Station 32s area includes Cachuma Lake, the Chumash Casino Resort, much of State Highway 154, the townships of Santa Ynez and Los Olivos and the Northern and Eastern areas of the bucolic Santa Ynez Valley.
With the station located at the Santa Ynez Airport, the paramedics of 32s will respond aboard one of the helicopters anywhere needed via Santa Barbara County’s Air Support Unit, which is located nearby.
Station 32 is also home to one of the department’s two tactical water tenders, a 1,500 gallon Pierce 4×4.

Station 32 history begins in 1947 when the County bought 5 acres from the Santa Yanez Valley High School District. Station 7 was built there in 1948 and consisted of a station house,  utility shed, and a residence. From 1973 to 1990 the Construction division was also located there. Also in 1973, the Department’s Hot Shot crew was formed and worked out of the residence until it was disbanded in 1991. Going back again to 1947, the County of Santa Barbara purchased 124 acres of land from John J. Mitchell (a portion of the old Juan Y. Lolita Ranch) for the purpose of building a public airport. Nearly 40 years passed by, and in 1987, the County began the process of evaluating a 1.4 acre site at the airport for a new fire station. The station was originally planned to be on a parcel near Baseline and Refugio, but, due to objections from the neighborhood, the airport site was chosen. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approved the idea of construction of a fire station adjacent to the airport in 1988, and so, in 1989, construction began with the crew moving in a year later.

In 1992 the old Fire Station 7 and residence (near the intersection of Cota and Sagunto) were tom down.